Latest Posts

Retwisting locs: Eco Styler Gel VS Taliah Waajid Lock It Up

By 1:27:00 PM , , , , , , , , , ,

Eco Styler Pros
Cheap (huge 32 oz tub for about $5)
Maximum hold
No flaking (in my hair)
Nice, light smell

Eco Styler Cons
Leaves a "gel cast"
Makes my hair feel dry

There are plenty of people who use Eco Styler gel to retwist their locs. It's no surprise since you get a lot for a cheap price. Personally, I loved Eco Styler gel when my hair was loose, but for loc maintenance I don't like it all that much.

It does hold well, but I don't need maximum hold on my roots. I also found that over time my roots were starting to feel dry even though I was moisturizing my hair between washes. Not to mention that I have an oily scalp so my roots being dry is a sure sign that something isn't right.

This is because Eco Styler gel leaves what some people call a "gel cast." The gels coats your hair strands and then hardens, creating a barrier against anything else you'll try to put on your hair. If you have ever used Eco Styler to define your curls, you know this is why hair tutorials tell you to scrunch your hair so it won't be hard. You're breaking up the gel cast a bit.
Eco Styler gel has helped me achieve many sleek ponytails, but it's not ideal for retwisting my locs.

Taliah Waajid Pros
Good hold
No flaking (in my hair)
Nice, light smell
No gel cast
Doesn't leave the hair feeling dry

Taliah Waajid Cons
More expensive especially if you're heavy handed (6 oz jar for about $7)

I found out about this gel from watching Damian Walter's videos on YouTube. He uses the "tight hold" version of it in his clients' hair when retwisting their locs. He went over the pros of using it and I was sold. At the time my locs were 2 months old and still developing, but I could still tell the difference in my hair after shampooing the Eco Styler out of my hair and then using the regular Taliah Waajid Lock It Up gel. When I come from under the dryer, my hair holds well but it isn't hard at all. My roots feel moisturized and healthy which means I'm happy.

One thing to remember about the gel is that you don’t need to put a lot. For me, one jar lasts for 3-4 retwist sessions so I actually don't mind the price.

Bottom Line:

Even though Eco Styler holds better and is cheaper, I prefer Taliah Waajid Lock It Up gel for the quality and because it doesn't make my hair dry.

You Might Also Like

0 comments