Latest Posts

Listerine For Dandruff?

By 11:15:00 AM , , , , ,


When I first heard about using Listerine for my scalp condition my immediate response was NO. I thought this was another one of those "natural hair care trends" that had hair stylists screaming bloody murder.
BUT I decided to do my own research about it before making judgements.
So the Listerine being used is the original formula (the yellow one). The bottle actually says antiseptic on it which I never noticed before.
Originally, Listerine was formulated to be a surgical antiseptic. In other words, it was used to kill bacteria before surgery to lessen the likelihood of an infection. It wasn't until much later when Listerine was being used as a mouthwash to kill the bacteria in your mouth.
In the 1920s, the company started a campaign against bad breath and their sales exploded. The company has made many variations of the original formula, and now the yellow original is just known to us as the one that tastes bad lol

So what does this have to do with my scalp condition?
Well I actually don't know for sure what my scalp condition exactly is because I still haven't been to a dermatologist. BUT I do know that my scalp is oily and my dandruff is caused by scalp fungus. Dudley's Antiseptic pretty much helped me keep everything under control. However, my local beauty supply store doesn't sell it and I have to order it online. While I'm waiting for that package to come I still need to treat my scalp.
I already had an unopened travel size bottle of the yellow Listerine in my closet so I decided to suck it up and just test it.
I put about 1 fluid ounce of it in a bottle that had an applicator tip. I then added a fluid ounce of water to dilute it. I only applied it to my scalp; not all over my hair! Antiseptics are very drying.
I massaged it into my scalp and let it sit under a plastic cap for about 10 minutes. Afterwards, I continued with my shampoo and conditioner. My scalp was just as clean as when I used Dudley's.
Three days later my scalp is just now starting to produce a bit of oil. Usually my scalp starts to produce some oil 1-2 days after washing.

Bottom Line

Using the yellow Listerine was very effective on my scalp. Still unsure if it's going to replace Dudley's antiseptic. If I'm tight on money or out of Dudley's I'll definitely use it though.

You Might Also Like

0 comments